You are not currently logged in
Take a look at the 10 deadliest tornadoes in U.S. history, according to the NOAA.
10. Flint, Mich. (1953) -- An EF5 tornado killed 116 people -- including multiple family members of at least 20 families -- and injured 844.
9. New Richmond, Wis. (1899) -- This EF5 tornado generated a massive amount of flying debris, resulting in 117 deaths and 200 injuries.
8. Purvis, Miss. (1908) -- This EF4 tornado was reported to be two miles wide and hit parts of Louisiana and Mississippi. More than 700 were injured and 143 killed.
7. Joplin, Mo. (2011) -- The twister leveled homes and businesses and killed 161* people. *CNN and other news outlets have listed the death toll at 161; NOAA lists the toll at 158.
6. Woodward, Okla. (1947) -- More than 900 people in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas were injured by this EF5 twister, which left 181 dead.
5. Gainesville, Ga. (1936) -- This EF4 tornado -- actually a pair of twisters -- hit at the start of the work day, killing 203 people and injuring an estimated 1,600.
4. Tupelo, Miss. (1936) -- This twister leveled hundreds of homes and killed entire families. An estimated 700 were injured and 216 killed.
3. St. Louis (1896) -- Buildings and homes along the Mississippi River were swept away or damaged by this twister, which killed 255 and injured an estimated 1,000 people.
2. Natchez, Miss. (1840) -- An estimated 317 people died and 109 people were injured by this tornado, although the death toll was probably larger because slave deaths were likely not included.
1. Tri-State tornado (1925) -- This EF5 tornado killed 695 and injured more than 2,000 across Illinois, Indiana and Missouri. Records were set for both speed and path length.
Coburn Dukehart / Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism
Marty Brunner, who goes by the nickname "Machine Gun" Marty, shows off his "NRA4 EVER" tattoos at his booth at the Badger Military Collectible Show in Waukesha, Wis., on Aug. 5, 2016. When gun purchasers approach him and ask whether he is a private seller, he points to bright signs that label him as a licensed dealer and asks, "Are you colorblind, or just illiterate?"
In Wisconsin — where an epidemic of gun violence fueled by illegally obtained firearms is raging in Milwaukee — lawmakers have avoided voting on background checks.
WalletHub released its list of the best cities to retire. The ranking takes into account health care, affordability, recreational areas and quality of life among other metrics. Click to see the top 10 cities.
Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images
A powerful 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck Italy about 100 miles northeast of Rome early on the morning of Aug. 24. The damage was significant and the death toll is climbing.
An award-winning nonprofit that helps consumers solve problems is looking for volunteers in the Madison area.
She's convinced that she caught it on a gummy worm (I secretly switch the bait when she wasn't looking). She reeled it almost all the way in and then she got scared / excited when she saw it :)
Whether you're in a boat, on a bank or on a pier, we want a photo of your big catch. Share with us.
You can get the latest video forecast from News 3 Weather Center meteorologists.
Channel 3000 has a new and upgraded weather app for iOS and Android. Learn about the new features and download it here: iOS / Android
Our previous weather app will not automatically update to this new app.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.