1. Human Prescribed Medications - The APCC handled 24,673 cases regarding human prescription medications in 2013.
The top three human prescriptions pets were exposed to include: heart medications (blood pressure pills), antidepressants and pain medications (opioids and prescription non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
2. Insecticides - Insecticides accounted for 15.7 percent of all calls to the APCC in 2013.
While the overall percentages is 15.7%, more than half of all the calls involving cats to the APCC for pet-related toxins were due to exposure to insecticides.
3. Over-the-Counter Human Medications - Over-the-counter human products accounted for 14.7 percent of calls to APCC in 2013.
This group contains acetaminophen, ibuprofen and naproxen as well as herbal and nutraceutical products (fish oil, joint supplements). Many of these products are tasty to pets, and some can be life threatening if ingested.
4. Household Products - There were nearly 17,000 calls to the APCC about household products in 2013.
Household toxins can range from fire logs to cleaning products. Some items can be corrosive, while others can cause obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract requiring surgical intervention.
5. People Food - Human foods can be appealing to many pets, especially dogs, but may also be toxic in some cases.
Dogs can get themselves into serious trouble by ingesting onions/garlic, grapes/raisins and xylitol, a sugar substitute which can be life-threatening for animals.
6. Veterinary Products and Medications - Veterinary products slid down two spots this year.
Over-the-counter and prescription veterinary products are included in this group. Flavored tablets make it easy to give your pet pain or joint medication, but it also makes it more likely for them to ingest the entire bottle if given the chance.
7. Chocolate - An average of 26 calls a day were received last year.
Too much chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate and seizures.
8. Rodenticides - Approximately 5.5 percent of calls to the APCC in 2013 were related to baits.
When putting out baits to kill mice and rats, never underestimate the resourcefulness of your pet. Depending on the type of rodenticide, ingestion can cause internal bleeding, kidney failure or seizures.
9. Plants - More than 9,000 cases in 2013 were pet parents calling about their animals eating plants.
This is one category that cats lead dogs in the number of exposures. Lilies can cause kidney failure and death in cats.
10. Lawn and Garden Products - The APCC received over 5,000 calls in 2013 relating lawn and garden products.
Fertilizers, which can be made of dried blood, poultry manure and bone meal, are very attractive to pets. These can also be toxic to pets.
If you ever fear your pet has ingested something toxic, please contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center's 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.
The ASPCA also recommends maintaining an emergency first-aid kit for use after consulting your veterinarian. Common items in a pet emergency kit are: hydrogen peroxide, bulb syringe, saline eye solution, artificial tear gel, mild grease-cutting dish washing liquid, forceps, a muzzle, a can of your pet's favorite wet food and a pet carrier.