Madison
33° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Advertisement

No injuries in dryer fire at east Madison apartment

Published On: Mar 29 2014 04:57:52 PM CDT
Updated On: Mar 29 2014 04:59:34 PM CDT

Officials said all occupants are safe Saturday after a dryer fire at an apartment building on Madison's near east side.

The city of Madison Fire Department said fire crews responded to a report of a fire in a clothes dryer at the Yahara River View Apartments building at 1459 E. Main St.

A female resident saw a fire in the dryer at about 8 a.m. on the second floor of the 60-unit building, the report said. She called 911 and alerted a male resident to help. He pulled the building's fire alarm and used a fire extinguisher while the female resident helped three wheelchair-bound residents evacuate the building.

The fire department said the sprinkler system put out the fire but there was significant smoke in the building. 

No one was injured, according to the report.

Fire crews checked apartment walls and the ceiling to be sure the fire didn't spread. Large fans were used to ventilate the smoke from the building. Firefighters also assisted residents, some of whom were in wheelchairs and walkers, into a community room to keep warm.

Estimated fire damage to two apartments is $10,000, the report said. Six people, and their caretakers were displaced due to the fire. The Red Cross assisted three residents with housing and essential needs. Everyone else was allowed to return to their apartments.

The fire sprinkler system limited damage and allowed the residents to evacuate safely.

Advertisement
Advertisement