Madison
49° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

900 civilians returning to work at Fort McCoy

Published On: Dec 24 2013 09:14:21 AM CST   Updated On: Oct 08 2013 07:06:02 AM CDT

Maj. Gen. Donald Dunbar

MADISON, Wis. -

About 900 civilian employees are returning to work at Fort McCoy even though the federal government shutdown continues.

The U.S. Department of Defense is ending furloughs for all civilian employees who contribute to the readiness of service members.

Fort spokeswoman Linda Fournier said training for 2,200 National Guard and Reserve troops had to be canceled because civilian employees were furloughed. The La Crosse Tribune reported another 600 civilian employees stayed on the job because they're responsible for safety and security and contract work.

The majority of Wisconsin’s National Guard technicians were approved to return to work Monday, according to a release.

Nine categories of technicians will remain on furlough, officials said. The categories include legislative and public affairs, commercial account/travel account/defense travel system management, auditors and internal review, inspector general, website management, schools management, strategic planning, army communities of excellence management and State Partnership for Peace Program management.

According to the release, technicians that are still on furlough will not be able to return until Congress passes a defense authorization act, a continuing resolution or further legislation to fully fund the armed forces.

“Based on this new guidance, we are able to recall a majority, but not all, of our civilian technicians,” Maj. Gen. Donald Dunbar, Wisconsin adjutant general, said in the release. “All of our employees are valued and our inability to recall some of our technicians does not reflect the importance of work they do for the Wisconsin National Guard.”

Supervisors contacted their employees to let them know if they fell into of the nine categories that will remain on furlough, officials said. The first task upon returning to work will be to establish accountability for all employees and to restart any processes shut down last week on the first day of the furlough.

Advertisement
  • PHOTOS: Viewers drop off sensitive documents for Shredfest

    The WISC-TV studio parking lot was busy with hundreds of viewers bringing their sensitive documents to be destroyed as part of Shredfest with the Better Business Bureau Saturday morning.

    A combined 1,295 cars dropped off bags of papers at WISC-TV on Raymond Road and SVA Certified Public Accountants firm on John Q. Hammons Drive.

    News 3 and Better Business Bureau team members unloaded bags of documents from viewers' cars and Pellitteri Waste Systems' Data Destruction team put the papers into the shredding trucks.

  • Earthquake in Nepal 12

    Omar Havana/Getty Images

    Earthquake kills hundreds in Nepal

    A 7.8 magnitude earthquake centered less than 50 miles from Kathmandu rocked Nepal with devastating force early Saturday, killing at least 1,400 people -- and probably more -- in Nepal's capital city, authorities said. 

  • Bruce Jenner

    Ethan Miller/Getty Images for Michael Jordan Celebrity Invitational

    Most memorable celebrity interviews

    Bruce Jenner will talk with Diane Sawyer in a highly anticipated interview on Friday night. Look back at some of the other memorable celebrity interviews from over the years.

Advertisement