Madison
45° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Man turns green after eating snails

Published On: Dec 24 2013 05:32:26 AM CST
Updated On: Sep 11 2013 09:23:21 AM CDT
Man turns green, snails

A 24-year-old man was hospitalized after he ate too many snails and his skin turned the color green.  

According to WantChinaTimes.com, the man came to the hospital in Guizhou province, China, because his skin had turned green and he was afraid something might be wrong with him. Doctors discovered that the man had a parasitic infection in his liver. The Chinese Center for Disease Control reportedly confirmed that he was infected by parasitic flatworms that live in animal livers.

The parasite came into the man's body because he had been eating river snails on a daily basis. He began complaining of a sharp abdominal pain months ago, but did not seek medical attention until his skin started changing color.

Doctors finally removed four common liver fluke from his bile duct. Liver flukes are commonly found in the bile ducts of cattle, sheep and other mammals.

Advertisement
  • Get your weather app

    Channel3000.com and WISC-TV3 deliver local forecasts, live radar, school closings and alerts for Madison and South Central Wisconsin to iOS or Android devices.

  • Learn more about WISC-TV

    Meet the News 3 staff, learn about our newscasts, search our job postings and find out how to contact us.

  • Buck in the truck

    Buck in the truck

    Your pet photos

    Email us a picture of you and your pet and we'll use it in out Pet Walk segment which airs every weekday morning at 6:40. Include your name, your pet's name and where you're from. Email to petwalk@wisctv.com.

Advertisement