Madison
41° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Advertisement

Man turns green after eating snails

Published On: Dec 24 2013 05:32:26 AM CST
Updated On: Sep 11 2013 09:23:21 AM CDT
Man turns green, snails

A 24-year-old man was hospitalized after he ate too many snails and his skin turned the color green.  

According to WantChinaTimes.com, the man came to the hospital in Guizhou province, China, because his skin had turned green and he was afraid something might be wrong with him. Doctors discovered that the man had a parasitic infection in his liver. The Chinese Center for Disease Control reportedly confirmed that he was infected by parasitic flatworms that live in animal livers.

The parasite came into the man's body because he had been eating river snails on a daily basis. He began complaining of a sharp abdominal pain months ago, but did not seek medical attention until his skin started changing color.

Doctors finally removed four common liver fluke from his bile duct. Liver flukes are commonly found in the bile ducts of cattle, sheep and other mammals.

Advertisement
  • jack-o-lantern Halloween pumpkin

    Juliet James/SXC

    Halloween

    Games, recipes, trick-or-treating, scary movies and everything else you need to make your Halloween extra spooky.

  • Politician, politics, debate, election

    iStock / bns124

    Election Coverage

    Get up-to-date on political stories, Reality Check the latest political ads, learn about the candidates and find election results in our special section.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    Ebola special coverage

    Get the latest news on the Ebola outbreak and resources to help you learn more about the deadly virus.

Advertisement