Madison
48° F
Light Rain
Light Rain
Advertisement

Kitchen fire causes $40,000 in damage

Published On: May 26 2014 07:34:56 PM CDT

MADISON, Wis. -

A pot of oil started a fire in a Madison house Monday afternoon, according to the Madison Fire Department.

The fire was quickly put out at a single-family home on the 3400 block of Richard Street. 

Authorities said the resident put a pot of oil on the stove and left the kitchen to close windows, due to an incoming storm. When the resident returned, smoke had filled the kitchen.

Fire crews extinguished the fire within two minutes of arriving and saved three cats.

Damages are estimated at $40,000. No injuries were reported.

Advertisement
  • Isreali President Shimon Peres

    Ilia Yefimovich/Getty Images

    Notable deaths of 2016

    Here's a look at some of the celebrities we've lost so far in 2016.

  • PHOTOS: Madison store helps collect hundreds of Teddy bears for police

    MADISON, Wis.--A west Madison store is part of an effort to collect hundreds of stuffed animals to donate to six police departments in Southern Wisconsin.

    Todd Merryfield, owner of The Learning Shop at 714 S. Gammon Road, said the store is collecting the bears for officers who use them to help comfort children with whom police come in contact.

    "This is a great way to support what (police) do," Merryfield said. "Those are the kids that need something like this to reassure them, calm them down, and let them know that things are all right."

    Nearly 500 plush animals were donated Tuesday, a Learning Shop spokeswoman said. The Madison store's effort is part of a larger initiative through the Bears for Humanity organization. 

    Photos by Doug Wahl

  • Passport

    RandyHarris/iStock

    Mistakes people make when moving abroad

    Moving abroad? Realtor.com has put together a list of six mistakes people make when they're moving abroad. Click through, so you don't make the same mistakes during your move.

Advertisement