Madison
62° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Advertisement

Fire caused by burning candle left on bed by child, officials say

Published On: Mar 27 2014 03:01:06 PM CDT

Channel3000.com file photo

BELOIT, Wis. -

A house fire in Beloit on Thursday morning was caused by a burning candle that was left on a bed by a child, according to a release.

Officials said there was heavy smoke showing and the fire was starting to extend up the side of house in the 500 block of Highland Avenue when crews arrived around 10:30 a.m.

The occupants of the apartment were home at the time of the fire, according to the release. One of the occupants was examined on scene for chest pain, but refused transport.

Investigators said the fire was contained to the southeast bedroom, which was where the fire started.

Damage to the structure and contents of the apartment are estimated at $30,000, according to the release. Another apartment attached to the original apartment was undamaged.

Advertisement
  • Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Mosul, Iraq

    Al Hayat Media/CNN

    Who is ISIS?

    ISIS forces have extended their control around the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra. The capture of Syria's ancient city, about 150 miles northeast of Damascus, threatens a UNESCO World Heritage Site described as having "stood at the crossroads of several civilizations," Learn more about the group.

  • Test your Memorial Day knowledge

    Test your knowledge of Memorial Day facts and see how well you know the holiday in this slideshow.

  • Lumahai Beach

    Compassandcamera/iStock

    Top 10 U.S. beaches of 2015

    With beach season upon us, Dr. Beach lists his top picks for sandy stretches in 2015.

Advertisement