Madison
87° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Advertisement

Exploding rhubarb chutney destroys apartment

Published On: Jul 10 2013 09:45:53 AM CDT   Updated On: Jul 10 2013 09:46:07 AM CDT
Rhubarb jam, chutney, jelly

iStock

A jar of rhubarb chutney destroyed a British woman's apartment after exploding in her refrigerator.

Margaret Goodwin, 66, had received the chutney as a gift and put it in the refrigerator to enjoy later, the Irish Independent reported.

But five days later, as she was sleeping, the fermenting chutney gave off enough methane to cause an explosion that blew the door off the refrigerator, temporarily lifted the ceiling and left holes and cracks in her walls.

"If I had been standing in the way, it would probably have killed me," Goodwin said, according to The Telegraph.

She initially thought a gas line had exploded, but fire officials pointed to the chutney as the cause.

Turns out, methane gas can become very explosive when mixed with air. Other recipients of the culinary gift have been warned to get rid of it, according to The Sun.

Advertisement
  • Buddy Check 3

    Learn more about Buddy Check and sign up to get a reminder to perform a self-exam and remind your friends to do the same.

  • Jack in Madison

    Jack in Madison

    Your pet photos

    Email us a picture of you and your pet and we'll use it in out Pet Walk segment which airs every weekday morning at 6:40. Include your name, your pet's name and where you're from. Email to petwalk@wisctv.com.

  • Time for Kids - Explore the Outdoors

    Dean Clinic and WISC-TV3 are focusing on a year-long campaign to get kids off their electronics and into the outdoors.

Advertisement