Madison
69° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Drabek found guilty on all charges of sexual abuse

Published On: Feb 21 2014 01:48:59 AM CST   Updated On: Feb 21 2014 08:16:40 AM CST

Doug Wahl

Joshua Drabek in court

MADISON, Wis. -

A jury has found a Madison man guilty of two counts of sexual assault, and one count of child abuse.

It took the jury nearly 11 hours to return with the verdict for Joshua Drabek, now 20, who was accused of sexually assaulting his stepsister when he was 13 and the girl was 9.

Several witnesses testified Thursday morning before brief closing arguments from both sides.

Defense attorney Ronald Benavides said the teen has given conflicting statements about when the assaults happened, calling her accusations into question.

The teen, known as SLC, fled her home in February 2012 and later told doctors at a hospital where she was taken that she had been starved and sexually assaulted.

Drabek allegedly assaulted his stepsister when he was 13 and the girl was 9. Drabek pleaded no contest to sexual assault charges in November 2011 in a case involving a different girl.

The teen ran away from home in February 2012. She told investigators her father and stepmother locked her in their basement and refused to feed her. They were convicted on child abuse charges at separate trials.

SLC testified Tuesday about being bullied by her brother and beaten with a wiffle ball bat. She said she feared if she told adults about the sexual abuse they would not believe her.

Advertisement
  • Donald Trump (file)

    David Becker/Getty Images

    Protesters, supporters clash at Trump events

    As Donald Trump has emerged as the front-runner of the Republican presidential candidates, increasingly violent protests and demonstrations have plagued his campaign events across the country.

  • Bill-Cosby-pre-trial-hearing

    Matt Rourke-Pool/Getty Images

    Cosby sex scandal timeline

    A Pennsylvania judge ruled Tuesday, May 24, there is enough evidence, for Bill Cosby to go to trial for a 2004 case. Cosby goes to trial for felony indecent assault charges and faces up to 10 years in prison. Check out a timeline of rape and other sexual misconduct accusations made against the comedian.

  • Edward Nero1

    Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

    Officers charged in Freddie Gray case

    Baltimore Police Officer Edward Nero was found not guilty of all charges Monday, May 23, in connection with the death of Freddie Gray, Judge Barry Williams ruled after a bench trial. Nero is one of six officers tried in connection in the case and the second to be tried. Here is a closer look at the cases of six officers charged in Gray's death.

Advertisement