Madison
64° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Advertisement

Apartment fire started by candle, 1 sent to hospital

Published On: Apr 25 2013 02:13:33 PM CDT   Updated On: Apr 25 2013 11:02:27 AM CDT
Apartment fire in 2600 block of Pheasant Ridge Trail

Apartment fire in 2600 block of Pheasant Ridge Trail

TOWN OF MADISON, Wis. -

One person was taken to the hospital after a fire started by a candle caused damage to an apartment building in the town of Madison Thursday morning, according to town of Madison fire officials.

Firefighters were called to a 16-unit apartment building at 2604 Pheasant Ridge at 6:37 a.m. When they arrived they found a bedroom on the first floor fully involved with fire coming out the window.

An occupant who tried to put out the fire before calling the fire department was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries. All other occupants escaped safely.

Fire officials said the fire was caused candle with combustible materials placed on top of the candle. The building and contents sustained $22,000 in damage. There were no operating smoke detectors in the apartment where the fire started.

Advertisement
  • 7 pains - chest pain

    Getty Images

    7 pains men should never ignore

    Men's Health has a list of seven pains that may signify something serious for men.

  • Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Mosul, Iraq

    Al Hayat Media/CNN

    Who is ISIS?

    ISIS forces have extended their control around the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra. The capture of Syria's ancient city, about 150 miles northeast of Damascus, threatens a UNESCO World Heritage Site described as having "stood at the crossroads of several civilizations," Learn more about the group.

  • Test your Memorial Day knowledge

    Test your knowledge of Memorial Day facts and see how well you know the holiday in this slideshow.

Advertisement