44° F

Toddler swallows 42 fridge magnets

Published On: Feb 15 2013 09:33:00 AM CST   Updated On: Feb 15 2013 11:53:30 PM CST
X-Ray file photo

A toddler in Russia is recovering after swallowing 42 fridge magnets in a matter of minutes.

The boy's mother panicked when she noticed all the magnets from the family's refrigerator were gone after leaving her 16-month-old son alone for a short period of time, The Daily Mail reported.

She rushed him to a local clinic, where a scan revealed dozens of small, round magnets in his abdomen.

Doctors at a hospital near the family's home in Chelyabinsk performed emergency surgery to remove the magnets.

"Over the years, I had to take a variety of foreign bodies including magnets from young patients," Chief pediatric surgeon Nikolay Rostovtsev told The Daily Mail. "Once I removed about 20 of them, but this incident of our little patient has broken all records."

The boy is expected to make a full recovery.

  • pumpkin, halloween


    Best & worst cities for Halloween

    When it comes to Halloween, some cities know how to do it up more than others. Find out which cities promise a frighteningly good time.

  • World Series Game 1 Progressive Field wide shot

    Jason Miller/Getty Images

    2016 World Series: Cubs even things up

    The 2016 World Series started Oct. 25, at Progressive Field in Cleveland, with the National League champion Chicago Cubs and the American League champion Cleveland Indians.

  • PHOTOS: Vilas Zoo announces new holiday lights exhibit

    The Henry Vilas Zoo will light up nights this holiday season with its new Zoo Lights event. The Zoo Lights exhibit will offer zoo-goers a stroll down Candy Cane Lane with festive lights and sounds. Zoo organizers announced the Zoo Light exhibit Wednesday and said thousands of lights will transform the zoo into a winter wonderland Nov. 25-Jan. 1.

    Admission is $7 and Zoo Lights will run Thursdays through Sundays beginning at 5:30 p.m.