Madison
61° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

State reminds residents of carbon-monoxide risks

Published On: Nov 16 2012 06:46:01 AM CST

MADISON, Wis. -

With temperatures starting to dip, Wisconsin safety officials remind residents to protect their families from carbon-monoxide risks.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the U.S. Nearly half of those deaths happen during the winter.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that can be emitted from aging or unvented furnaces or other gas-powered home appliances. Exposure can cause headaches, dizziness or nausea, and can be fatal to people who are sleeping.

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services said state law requires that every house have a carbon-monoxide detector in the basement and on every floor. Health officials remind residents to test their detectors regularly, change the batteries annually and make sure all heating appliances are well-vented.

Advertisement
  • Indiana primary graphic

    CNN

    Presidential election moves to Indiana

    With the number of available delegates dwindling and the parties' national conventions two months away, Indiana's primary is poised to reshape the presidential primary election.

  • Foster Farms chicken nuggets

    USDA FSIS via CNN

    Notable recalls of 2016

    Several major product recalls have been reported in the United States in 2016. Check our list to see if you could be affected.

  • blue neon hotel vacancy sign

    kd kelly/SXC

    7 deadly sins for hotels

    Hair on the bathroom floor is gross, even when it's your own. It's one of those little things that turns happy travelers into disgruntled hotel guests. Check out the seven deadly sins to hoteliers.

Advertisement