44° F

Ragstock fire blamed on improper disposal of smoking materials

Published On: Dec 21 2012 12:52:28 PM CST   Updated On: Dec 21 2012 01:02:50 PM CST

A fire at State Street clothing store Ragstock was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to the Madison Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to the store at 329 State St. at 3:44 p.m. Thursday for a report of a fire in the store’s office above the retail shop.

Employees said they noticed smoke inside the building as they were closing the store.

Firefighters said smoke and flames were visible when they arrived.

Crews found and quickly extinguished the fire. Several windows were broken to ventilate the building.

The office sustained major smoke and fire damage, and the shop suffered smoke and water damage. The total damage is estimated at $100,000.

Stores adjacent to Ragstock suffered little to no damage, according to firefighters.

  • pumpkin, halloween


    Best & worst cities for Halloween

    When it comes to Halloween, some cities know how to do it up more than others. Find out which cities promise a frighteningly good time.

  • World Series Game 1 Progressive Field wide shot

    Jason Miller/Getty Images

    2016 World Series: Cubs even things up

    The 2016 World Series started Oct. 25, at Progressive Field in Cleveland, with the National League champion Chicago Cubs and the American League champion Cleveland Indians.

  • PHOTOS: Vilas Zoo announces new holiday lights exhibit

    The Henry Vilas Zoo will light up nights this holiday season with its new Zoo Lights event. The Zoo Lights exhibit will offer zoo-goers a stroll down Candy Cane Lane with festive lights and sounds. Zoo organizers announced the Zoo Light exhibit Wednesday and said thousands of lights will transform the zoo into a winter wonderland Nov. 25-Jan. 1.

    Admission is $7 and Zoo Lights will run Thursdays through Sundays beginning at 5:30 p.m.