66° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy

Candle cause of fire that killed 3 children

Published On: Nov 12 2012 02:56:30 PM CST
RACINE, Wis. -

Authorities said a candle in a bathroom apparently caused a Racine house fire last week that killed three children and injured a fourth.

Racine police released that update Monday.

Eight-year-old Dalijah Scott and 9-year-old Dayja Scott died Thursday when their house caught fire. Their brother, 7-year-old Michael Scott, died later in the hospital.

The children's 5-year-old brother, Luther Patterson, was hospitalized.

Authorities on Monday also released audio from the 911 call from the children's mother.

In the 911 call, Deborah Scott tells the dispatcher, "Someone come get my kids. My house is on fire. They are crying like crazy. I cannot get my kids out."

The Journal Times reported Scott said she could see flames but that the window where the children were located doesn't open.

  • Life ring from El Faro found


    Timeline: El Faro sinking

    The captain of the missing container ship El Faro is capable and experienced, a friend says, and likely believed he had a good plan to avoid Hurricane Joaquin in the Atlantic when he and 32 other crew members departed Florida for Puerto Rico last week. Take a look at details of El Faro's sinking.

  • Oil fracking in California

    David McNew/Getty Images

    10 biggest strikes in U.S. history

    The United Auto Workers union is prepared to strike Fiat Chrysler Wednesday. The strike would be the first in the industry since 2007, affecting about 40,000 workers. Take a look back at the 10 biggest strikes in U.S. history.

  • Australian baby possum snuggles with toy kangaroo

    From Taronga Zoo via CNN

    Orphaned baby possum snuggles with toy kangaroo

    Photos of an orphaned baby possum cuddling with a stuffed toy kangaroo at an Australian wildlife hospital has given the Internet a major case of the feels.