Madison
41° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Boy burned after Blackberry bursts into flames

Published On: Dec 05 2012 09:39:44 AM CST
Updated On: Dec 05 2012 11:46:54 PM CST
Blackberry

REUTERS/Gary Hershorn

An 11-year-old British boy suffered serious burns after his brother's Blackberry burst into flames.

Kian McCreath, 11, was sleeping when the Blackberry Curve 9320, which was charging, made a loud "pop" in the middle of the night and appeared to spontaneously combust, The Daily Telegraph reported.

His mother told WGN News she awoke to her son screaming about his legs being on fire.

She used his comforter to put out the flames, but Kian suffered serious burns and is now permanently scarred.

"It was just horrific," Sarah McCreath told the Telegraph. "He was in a lot of pain as his feet had pretty much been engulfed in flames. The bed was charred and the phone itself was just a blackened shell. It could have easily been much worse if he hadn't have woken up."

Kian's family is asking that the phone be recalled from stores in time for Christmas.

A spokesman for RIM, the company that owns Blackberry, said an investigation is a priority.

Advertisement
  • College lecture hall

    fredjk/SXC

    Colleges that bring in the highest paycheck

    Graduates with bachelor's degrees from certain U.S. colleges earn some of the highest salaries in the country, according to Payscale. Find out which colleges will get you paid the most.

  • Enterovirus

    CDC

    What to know: Enterovirus

    A respiratory virus that has sickened hundreds of kids across the U.S. has parents across the country worried. Take a look at what you need to know about enteroviruses.

  • Odds of hitting a deer by state

    Could you hit a deer in the next 12 months? The odds are higher this year nationally. Find out the chances in your state.

Advertisement