Madison
10° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Advertisement

2 plead guilty in attack on Wisconsin RB Ball

Published On: Dec 19 2012 02:24:28 PM CST   Updated On: Dec 19 2012 05:24:34 PM CST
MADISON, Wis. -

Two of the three men accused of attacking Wisconsin running back Montee Ball were accepted into the first-offenders program during plea and sentencing hearings Wednesday.

Twenty-one-year-old Wendell J. Venerable and 22-year-old Robert A. Wilks were each facing a single count of battery. The felony charge carries a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine.

The two men, along with Deonte Wilson, 21, are accused of attacking Ball in August as he walked behind two friends. They allegedly knocked him to the ground and kicked him in the head and chest. Ball was left unconscious and with a concussion.

Ball has said he doesn't remember the attack and doesn't know why they jumped him.

Ball’s father, Montee Ball Sr., testified at the hearing, telling the two men they had been given a huge break and the Ball family holds no malice toward them. He said he hopes the men get the counseling they need.

Police said they’re still hoping to find a fourth man involved in the attack.

Advertisement
  • Adrian Peterson on sidelines, December 2013

    Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports/Reuters

    NFL players in trouble with the law

    A judge overturned Adrian Peterson's suspension from the NFL on Thursday after the running back admitted to using a switch to discipline his 4-year-old son. Here are are some other NFL players who have been in trouble with the law.

  • Comp1

    Net neutrality: What to know

    The Federal Communications Commission voted 3-2 in favor net neutrality after a debate over whether the Internet should be regulated in the same way as public utilities. Here's what you need to know about net neutrality.

  • Zimmerman's parents after verdict read

    Gary W. Green/POOL

    Look back: George Zimmerman verdict

    Today marks the third anniversary of Trayvon Martin's death. a Florida jury found George Zimmerman not guilty of Martin's death on July 13, 2013. Take a look at scenes from the courtroom on the day of the verdict.

Advertisement