1. Borrow instead. Could you borrow a dress for a big dinner instead of buying a new one?
2. Retirement trumps tuition. If you don't prepare for your own future first, you won't be able to help your children when they need it.
3. Banish emotional shopping. To avoid shopping away your feelings, set an annual clothing budget, divide it by 12, and you'll have the amount you can spend each month.
4. Talk about it. Often we keep our money issues private, and like a shameful secret, it can eat away at us until it becomes an insurmountable problem. Discussing money woes can feel awkward if not downright embarrassing, but by doing so, you may learn how friends got through their husbands' job loss, or helping out an aging parent.
5. Two is enough. Multiple credit cards make it easier to rack up debt because it's harder to keep track of your spending. Since it's so easy to misuse them, limit your plastic to two national cards that you manage carefully.
6. Ask for more. If you don't ask for a raise at your job, the answer will always be "no."
7. Pedal off the metal. According to American Automobile Association spokesperson Christie Hyde, aggressive driving compromises your car's fuel efficiency, as does speeding. Slow it down for safety and to save money.
8. Beware of financial infidelity. Many couples argue about money, but the longer financial lying goes on, the worse the reaction is likely to be, so come clean now.
9. Declare independence. Just because you've married someone - or cohabit with them - doesn't mean the two of you are the same person. You need some money of your own so you can make small financial decisions without asking permission.
10. Use old gift cards You probably have a ton lying around the house with old balances. Partially used or completely unused gift cards lying around can be worth money. You can sell them and get cash back for them instead of letting the balance expire.
For more info on lazy ways to save money, go to Yahoo.com.
Email us a picture of you and your pet and we'll use it in out Pet Walk segment which airs every weekday morning at 6:40. Include your name, your pet's name and where you're from. Email to email@example.com.