Madison
57° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Advertisement

Janesville hazmat team responds to ammonia leak

Published On: Nov 24 2013 11:07:01 AM CST
Updated On: Nov 24 2013 12:41:56 PM CST

Channel3000.com file photo

BELOIT, Wis. -

Hazardous material and fire crews responded to a potential ammonia leak at a Beloit business Saturday, according to a release.

The Janesville Fire Department, city of Beloit Fire Department and the Rock County Haz Mat Team responded to Fairbanks Morse Engine at 701 White Ave. in Beloit, a manufacturing company, for an ammonia alarm that had activated inside the business, officials said.

An employee told crews the alarm activated while he was near an ammonia cylinder, and he saw the electronic meter that is associated with the tank read 20 percent and started to increase. He then exited the building.

Officials said the building was evacuated when they arrived, no injuries were reported and no one was exposed to the ammonia.

The employee near the ammonia cylinder at the time the alarm went off said he did not smell any ammonia and an exhaust fan was activated in the room when he left the building.

Haz Mat crews in full gear and self-contained breathing apparatus gained access to the exhaust fan vent and determined no ammonia was coming up through the vent, according to the release. Crews entered the building and found no reading of ammonia on their meter.

A technician reported finding a leak in a tank hose that directed ammonia into a piece of production equipment, officials said. The technician said the meter had to be placed within 1.5 inches from the hose to detect the leak.

After the tank was turned off the ammonia meter did not register any further readings, and the scene was turned over to Fairbanks Morse Engine staff, according to the release. About 15 pounds of compressed ammonia gas were released during the leak.

Advertisement
  • Marysville Pilchuck school shooting 4

    KOMO

    2 dead in school shooting near Seattle, sources say

    A school shooting has been reported at Marysville-Pilchuck High School in Marysville, Washington, about 35 miles north of Seattle.

  • Craig Spencer

    CNN

    America's Ebola patients

    An American doctor who was working with Ebola patients in Guinea was been diagnosed with the disease after returning to New York. Learn more about him and America's other Ebola victims.

  • Hot peppers

    Karimala/iStock

    Notable food recalls

    A North Carolina producer of peppers and hot sauces is voluntarily recalling 6,215 pounds of fresh serrano chili peppers because some tested positive for salmonella. Here are other notable food recalls that made headlines.

  • jack-o-lantern Halloween pumpkin

    Juliet James/SXC

    Halloween

    Games, recipes, trick-or-treating, scary movies and everything else you need to make your Halloween extra spooky.

  • Politician, politics, debate, election

    iStock / bns124

    Election Coverage

    Get up-to-date on political stories, Reality Check the latest political ads, learn about the candidates and find election results in our special section.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    Ebola special coverage

    Get the latest news on the Ebola outbreak and resources to help you learn more about the deadly virus.

Advertisement