Madison
65° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Hotel carbon monoxide leak sends 9 to hospital

Published On: Jun 15 2013 11:11:39 AM CDT
Updated On: Jun 15 2013 11:16:26 AM CDT

LAKE DELTON, Wis. -

Officials said nine guests and workers at a local hotel were taken to the hospital overnight for treatment of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Three of those patients were transferred from a Baraboo hospital to one in Milwaukee, according to the fire department.

The Delton Fire Department said just after midnight Saturday, first responders received a report of a possible carbon monoxide leak at the Travel Lodge Hotel on Munroe Avenue in Lake Delton.

According to the report, an employee working at the hotel had become ill prior to the call and was taken to St. Clare Hospital in Baraboo and high levels of carbon monoxide were found in the employee's blood. The worker was later transferred to St. Luke's Hospital in Milwaukee.

Tests of the air inside the hotel found a high level of carbon monoxide, the fire department said. Twelve employees living in the hotel and guests staying in 43 hotel rooms were evacuated, according to the report.

Delton fire officials said Alliant Energy shut off the gas supply to the Travel Lodge and responders used fans to ventilate the building.

After safe air readings were measured, guests were escorted back inside to collect belongings and the Salvation Army helped arrange alternate lodging for those affected.

The Delton Fire Department said the hotel is closed pending further investigation.

Advertisement
  • Emma

    Emma

    Look Who's 3

    Check out who's turning 3, and send in your photo.

  • Call for Action logo

    Submit a Complaint to Call For Action

    Have a consumer complaint? Click here to contact our Call For Action team.

  • C3K-EVENTS

    Events calendar

    Looking for something to do? Visit Channel 3000's events section featuring dining, food, music and family-friendly events throughout Madison and the surrounding area.

Advertisement