Prevention magazine evaluated 100 of the nation's largest cities on 48 measures of health, happiness and well-being to determine the healthiest (and happiest) cities in America. Here are the Top 25:
25. Manchester, N.H. (Gym and farmers market numbers, positive mental health)
24. Burlington, Vt. (Lowest diabetes rates, highest percentage of those who walk to work)
23. Boston (Highest percentage of people with health coverage)
22. Virginia Beach, Va. (Healthy cholesterol, big buyers of athletic clothing)
21. Denver (Healthy BMIs, low cancer rates)
20. Portland, Ore. (Healthy hearts, cheerful, easy access to affordable produce)
19. Jersey City, N.J. (Most gyms, highest per capita concentration of fitness professionals)
18. Colorado Springs, Colo. (Active residents, low diabetes rates and blood pressure)
17. Plano, Texas (Tops in purchasing workout gear, organic products)
16. Raleigh, N.C. (Low binge-drinking, lots of sneaker purchases)
15. Lincoln, Neb. (Healthy hearts, low unemployment rate)
14. Austin, Texas (Most active and college-educated)
13. Boise, Idaho (Low traffic death rate, lots of regular exercisers)
12. Aurora, Colo. (Highest overall health, green space access)
11. Seattle (Optimism, high college graduation levels, organic food availability)
10. Honolulu (High mental health scores)
9. Sioux Falls, S.D. (Highest levels of self-reported health)
8. Madison, Wis. (Low crime rates, affordable fresh produce)
7. San Francisco (Endless cultural offerings)
6. Fargo, N.D. (Regular church attendance)
5. San Diego (Most active residents)
4. Anaheim, Calif. (Tops in access to fitness facilities, healthy weights)
3. Minneapolis-St. Paul (Top scores for heart health)
2. Salt Lake City (Low cancer rates, best cancer survival rates)
1. San Jose, Calif. (Tops in eating organic produce)
Click here to read Prevention's rankings in full.
Today is National Banana Lovers Day! Lucky for you, bananas are super healthy. But did you know they're also one of several foods that cost less than $1?
Home prices are still going up, but the rate of that increase is slowing down, according to the latest national real estate data.
It's National Dog Day! Find out if your pooch is among America's favorite dog breeds.
Meet the News 3 staff, learn about our newscasts, search our job postings and find out how to contact us.
Buck in the truck
Email us a picture of you and your pet and we'll use it in out Pet Walk segment which airs every weekday morning at 6:40. Include your name, your pet's name and where you're from. Email to email@example.com.
An award-winning nonprofit that helps consumers solve problems is looking for volunteers in the Madison area.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.