Madison
68° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Advertisement

Fire caused by burning candle left on bed by child, officials say

Published On: Mar 27 2014 03:01:06 PM CDT

Channel3000.com file photo

BELOIT, Wis. -

A house fire in Beloit on Thursday morning was caused by a burning candle that was left on a bed by a child, according to a release.

Officials said there was heavy smoke showing and the fire was starting to extend up the side of house in the 500 block of Highland Avenue when crews arrived around 10:30 a.m.

The occupants of the apartment were home at the time of the fire, according to the release. One of the occupants was examined on scene for chest pain, but refused transport.

Investigators said the fire was contained to the southeast bedroom, which was where the fire started.

Damage to the structure and contents of the apartment are estimated at $30,000, according to the release. Another apartment attached to the original apartment was undamaged.

Advertisement
  • jack-o-lantern Halloween pumpkin

    Juliet James/SXC

    Halloween

    Games, recipes, trick-or-treating, scary movies and everything else you need to make your Halloween extra spooky.

  • Politician, politics, debate, election

    iStock / bns124

    Election Coverage

    Get up-to-date on political stories, Reality Check the latest political ads, learn about the candidates and find election results in our special section.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    Ebola special coverage

    Get the latest news on the Ebola outbreak and resources to help you learn more about the deadly virus.

Advertisement