Festival features holiday events, activities
Updated On: Dec 05 2013 11:59:44 AM CST
Brodhead’s Fire and Ice Festival this weekend features many activities, including a tree lighting, photos with Santa, ice sculpting and food vendors.
During the month of December, there will be a Christmas-themed display at the Consigny Law Office sponsored by the Brodhead Historical Society, according to a release.
The festival starts Friday in downtown Broadhead at 2:30 p.m. with the lighting of the Christmas tree on the square, organizers said. Stores downtown will be open until 7 p.m. offering Christmas specials.
Photos with Santa will be at the Java House from 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Photos are free and sponsored by the Sugar River Bank-Brodhead.
Ice sculpting by Zoli Akacsos, an ice and wood carver from Monroe, will be on the north side of the square from 3-7 p.m.
There will be bonfires for roasting hotdogs, s'mores and marshmallows, as well as hot chocolate at the Chamber food wagon, organizers said. The FFA will also be selling pork chop and pulled pork sandwiches.
Friday festival activities:
- Petting zoo, on the square from 4-7 p.m.
- Activities for children 2 to 12 years old (cookie decorating, face painting, tattoos, activity pages) at City Hall from 4-6:30 p.m., sponsored by the Brodhead Optimist Club and Brodhead Chamber
- Kettle corn in front of Bank of Brodhead
- Free carriage rides around downtown area, at City Hall from 4-6:30 and 7:30-8 p.m., sponsored by Brodhead BID Board
- Memorial Christmas Tree at City Hall
- Lighted Parade of decorated pets at City Hall, 6 p.m.
- Cindy Lou Who contest at the senior center, 6 p.m.
- 50/50 White Gift raffle through Brodhead Chamber, 6:30-7 p.m.
- Lighted parade featuring Santa and Mrs. Claus, the Grinch, Cindy Lou Who contest participants, an elf, pets decked out in Christmas outfits and décor, lighted entries, parade starts at United Methodist Church, 7 p.m.
- Decatur Lake Golf Course opening for sledding, weather permitting after parade
Saturday festival activities:
- Breakfast with Santa and sledding, Billy’s Sandtrap/Decatur Lake Golf Course, 7-10 a.m., sponsored by Brodhead Jaycees
- Christmas Brunch with novelty nativity scenes, United Methodist Church, 8:30 a.m. – noon
- Christmas Cookie Walk and Frosty’s Workshop, Brodhead United Church of Christ, 8 a.m. – noon
- Kettle corn in front of Bank of Brodhead, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Carriage rides in front of Bank of Brodhead, free, 9 a.m. – noon
- Christmas Home Tours, 1 p.m.-6 p.m., $3 at door or pre-purchased at Harvest Moon in downtown Brodhead
Copyright 2013 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.