Madison
41° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Metal in doughnut sends boy to hospital

Published On: Dec 24 2013 03:21:12 AM CST
Updated On: Aug 26 2013 03:39:25 PM CDT
Boy swallows metal in donut

Screengrab/WIBW

A sweet breakfast treat left a 6-year-old Kansas boy in the hospital.

Logan Ratai had to be taken to the hospital in Fort Riley on Sunday after biting into a glazed cake doughnut from the Wal-Mart bakery in Junction City, Topeka TV station WIBW reported.

Logan said the doughnut tasted crunchy. Then he chipped a tooth.

"There were pieces of black metal, some of them looked like rings, like washers off of a little screw, some of them were black metal fragments, like real sharp pieces," his mother, Kelly Ratai, told WIBW.

His parents brought him to the hospital after he complained of abdominal pains.

He's now facing a round of antibiotics and a clear liquid diet.

The bakery has pulled the doughnuts from its shelves, and a spokesman for Wal-Mart told WIBW they were investigating the incident.

Advertisement
  • jack-o-lantern Halloween pumpkin

    Juliet James/SXC

    Halloween

    Games, recipes, trick-or-treating, scary movies and everything else you need to make your Halloween extra spooky.

  • Politician, politics, debate, election

    iStock / bns124

    Election Coverage

    Get up-to-date on political stories, Reality Check the latest political ads, learn about the candidates and find election results in our special section.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    Ebola special coverage

    Get the latest news on the Ebola outbreak and resources to help you learn more about the deadly virus.

Advertisement