Donna's chili with beans and TVP or bulgur
Bulgur is made from wheat and is a natural whole grain. It is usually sold parboiled and dried. It has a light, nutty flavor and has been a staple of the Mediterranean diet for thousands of years. It is rich in B vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Combined with beans it makes a complete protein.
Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP) is a highly nutritious soy protein made from soy flour that has been cooked under pressure and then dried.
You can omit the meat or reduce the amount of meat in your soups and chili by adding one of these products. Add a few seasonings, peppers, and tomatoes and you have a great chili.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium red and green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces extra lean ground beef or Italian turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, partially drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, partially drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein or bulgur
- pinch sugar optional
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside. Add peppers and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Remove from pan and set aside. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Stir to crumble the meat.
Add reserved vegetables to the pan. Add chili powder, cumin, and Italian seasoning. Stir to mix well. Add 5 cups broth, tomatoes and the beans. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil gently for 15 minutes to blend flavors.
Add textured vegetable protein or bulgur and cook for 15 – 20 minutes.
Add sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. Add additional chili powder if desired.
Add additional broth to thin to desired consistency.
Nutritional information per serving
Fat, gm.: 8
Protein, gm.: 24
Carbs, gm.: 63
Cholesterol, mg.: 20
Fiber, gm.: 11.0
Copyright 2014 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.