Madison
49° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Beloit Fire Department extinguishes two blazes

Published On: Feb 07 2014 07:11:45 AM CST
BELOIT, Wis. -

Beloit firefighters have been called out to battle two blazes at homes in the city over the past 24 hours.

The first fire happened in the 1800 block of Arrowhead drive Thursday morning.

Fire officials said that fire happened after a bathroom ceiling heat lamp overheated, ignitiing insulation materials in the ceiling and attic.

Officials estimate the blaze caused more than $15,000 in damage to the home.

The second blaze occured early Friday morning in the 900 block of Kenwood Avenue.

All 7 residents of the home got out safely after they were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector.

Officials said the fire was caused when an overheated extension cord leading to a space heater ignited some bedding materials.

The fire caused significant damage to the basement and first floor of the home, Fire officials estimate the blaze caused $40,000 in damage to the home.

Red Cross officials are helping the family with emergency housing.

Advertisement
  • jack-o-lantern Halloween pumpkin

    Juliet James/SXC

    Halloween

    Games, recipes, trick-or-treating, scary movies and everything else you need to make your Halloween extra spooky.

  • Politician, politics, debate, election

    iStock / bns124

    Election Coverage

    Get up-to-date on political stories, Reality Check the latest political ads, learn about the candidates and find election results in our special section.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    Ebola special coverage

    Get the latest news on the Ebola outbreak and resources to help you learn more about the deadly virus.

Advertisement