Madison
67° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Advertisement

Apartment fire started by candle, 1 sent to hospital

Published On: Apr 25 2013 02:13:33 PM CDT
Updated On: Apr 25 2013 11:02:27 AM CDT
Apartment fire in 2600 block of Pheasant Ridge Trail

Apartment fire in 2600 block of Pheasant Ridge Trail

TOWN OF MADISON, Wis. -

One person was taken to the hospital after a fire started by a candle caused damage to an apartment building in the town of Madison Thursday morning, according to town of Madison fire officials.

Firefighters were called to a 16-unit apartment building at 2604 Pheasant Ridge at 6:37 a.m. When they arrived they found a bedroom on the first floor fully involved with fire coming out the window.

An occupant who tried to put out the fire before calling the fire department was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries. All other occupants escaped safely.

Fire officials said the fire was caused candle with combustible materials placed on top of the candle. The building and contents sustained $22,000 in damage. There were no operating smoke detectors in the apartment where the fire started.

Advertisement
  • jack-o-lantern Halloween pumpkin

    Juliet James/SXC

    Halloween

    Games, recipes, trick-or-treating, scary movies and everything else you need to make your Halloween extra spooky.

  • Politician, politics, debate, election

    iStock / bns124

    Election Coverage

    Get up-to-date on political stories, Reality Check the latest political ads, learn about the candidates and find election results in our special section.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    Ebola special coverage

    Get the latest news on the Ebola outbreak and resources to help you learn more about the deadly virus.

Advertisement