Madison
55° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Advertisement

Woman, dog escape morning blaze in Beloit

Published On: Nov 09 2012 07:14:53 AM CST
Updated On: Nov 10 2012 09:57:40 AM CST

BELOIT, Wis. -

Fire officials said Natasha Weberg had to jump out of a window to escape a fire in Beloit early Friday morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene in the 2000 block of Jackson Street about 12:30 a.m. Friday.

According to the fire department, an extension cord failure caused a couch to ignite in the living room of the home, causing extensive smoke damage throughout the first floor.

Weberg said she woke up to see thick clouds of smoke rolling into her bedroom.

WATCH WEBERG DESCRIBE HER ESCAPE

She kicked the screen out of her bedroom window, helped her dog Harley out and then climbed out behind him.

Damage is estimated at $40,000 to the home, and $15,000 to items inside the home.

Family and friends are collecting donations to help Weberg. A fund is set up at Blackhawk Bank in Beloit. 

Donations can be sent to: Natasha Weberg Fire Fund, 400 Broad St., Beloit, WI, 53511 or call 608-346-8911.

Advertisement
  • Testing for Ebola

    REUTERS/Misha Hussain

    Common myths about Ebola

    The first U.S. case of Ebola has been diagnosed in Texas. But before you panic, take a look at common myths about the deadly virus.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    What to know: Ebola

    Ebola has come to the United States, with the first domestic case diagnosed in Texas. Learn more about this deadly disease and its symptoms.

  • Hong Kong protests

    CNN

    Hong Kong protesters jam city streets

    Thousands of pro-democracy protesters are camped out on major highways in the heart of Hong Kong, defying government attempts to both coerce and cajole them into giving up their extraordinary demonstration.

Advertisement