Madison
50° F
Fog
Fog
Advertisement

Ragstock fire blamed on improper disposal of smoking materials

Published On: Dec 21 2012 12:52:28 PM CST
Updated On: Dec 21 2012 01:02:50 PM CST
MADISON, Wis. -

A fire at State Street clothing store Ragstock was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to the Madison Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to the store at 329 State St. at 3:44 p.m. Thursday for a report of a fire in the store’s office above the retail shop.

Employees said they noticed smoke inside the building as they were closing the store.

Firefighters said smoke and flames were visible when they arrived.

Crews found and quickly extinguished the fire. Several windows were broken to ventilate the building.

The office sustained major smoke and fire damage, and the shop suffered smoke and water damage. The total damage is estimated at $100,000.

Stores adjacent to Ragstock suffered little to no damage, according to firefighters.

Advertisement
  • Scotland independence crowd

    REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

    Celebs react to Scotland's independence vote

    On September 18, Scots will go to the polls to vote on the future of their country. The outcome could end Scotland's 307-year union with England and Wales as Great Britain -- and see it launch into the world as an independent nation of some 5.3 million people. Take a look at celebrity (both Scottish and not) reactions to the referendum.

  • Roger Goodell

    CNN

    The world reacts to NFL abuse scandals

    The NFL has suffered extensive backlash in their handling of both the Ray Rice domestic abuse and Adrian Peterson child abuse cases. Take a look at reactions to the recent NFL abuse scandals.

  • Police lights file 2

    Ridiculous 911 calls

    Have you ever considered calling 911 because of a massive spider in your house? How about because a McDonald's employee got your order wrong? Take a look at some of the strangest reasons people have recently called 911.

Advertisement