Madison
18° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Pet heater causes fire, sheriff's dept. says

Published On: Feb 16 2013 09:18:46 AM CST
Updated On: Feb 16 2013 11:55:32 PM CST

Channel3000.com file photo

MILTON, Wis. -

One person suffered minor smoke inhalation and a house was destroyed by fire in Milton Friday night, authorities said.

At 10:30 p.m. Rock County sheriff’s deputies and Milton firefighters responded to a report of a house on fire at 11607 N. Highway 26 in Milton. Crews at the scene reported heavy smoke and flames were visible.

Deputies said all occupants escaped. One member of the family was treated for minor smoke inhalation, but was released from the scene, according to the report. the sheriff's department said several animals were still inside the residence, and it appeared possible that some perished in the fire.

"It was reported that one of the residents was treated for smoke inhalation," said Sgt. Steve Selby of the Milton Police Department. "It was also reported that there were some pets inside the residence that were not able to get rescued."

Patrol Division Sgt. Mark Thompson said the preliminary investigation shows the fire started near an outdoor heater used for pets, but remains under investigation.

The Rock County Sheriff’s Department said the residence was a total loss but a financial estimate for the damage was not available Saturday morning.

Emergency crews were still at the scene about 2 a.m. and the sheriff's department said they were not expected to clear for "a few more hours," according to a news release received early Saturday.

Eight area fire agencies responded to the incident including Edgerton, Janesville, Evansville, Orfordville, Fort Atkinson, Whitewater, and Jefferson.

Advertisement
Advertisement