Madison
47° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Hazmat incident cleared on Madison's north side

Published On: Feb 27 2013 08:46:24 AM CST
Updated On: Feb 27 2013 02:50:02 PM CST
MADISON, Wis. -

A business was evacuated after a detection system reported the presence of a toxic and potentially explosive compound Wednesday morning.

Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Lori Wirth said the situation involved low levels of the compound arsine that was detected at company Alfalight at 1832 Wright Street after 8 a.m.

The company designs and manufactures high-power diode lasers for the industrial, defense, and telecommunications markets.

The source of the compound was identified and crews began clearing the scene after 10 a.m. Fire officials said a piece of equipment was not shut down properly.

The building’s ventilation system was used to clear the building of any residual gases leaked from the cylinders.

Roads in the area of Anderson and Wright streets were closed during the response.

Advertisement
  • jack-o-lantern Halloween pumpkin

    Juliet James/SXC

    Halloween

    Games, recipes, trick-or-treating, scary movies and everything else you need to make your Halloween extra spooky.

  • Politician, politics, debate, election

    iStock / bns124

    Election Coverage

    Get up-to-date on political stories, Reality Check the latest political ads, learn about the candidates and find election results in our special section.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    Ebola special coverage

    Get the latest news on the Ebola outbreak and resources to help you learn more about the deadly virus.

Advertisement