Floodwater continues to rise in Madison, Rock County
Updated On: Apr 18 2013 03:23:42 PM CDT
Floodwater in Madison and Rock County areas along the Rock River continued to rise Thursday. With more rain in the forecast, city officials are offering sand and sandbags to residents in flood-prone areas.
The Rock County area remains under a flood warning and the National Weather Service is indicating that the Rock River is at major flood stages in the Lake Koshkonong and Newville areas, and moderate flood stages in the Afton area.
The Rock River at Lake Koshkonong was at 11.93 feet Thursday afternoon with forecasts of water levels to reach 13 feet by Tuesday. The record water height for that area is 15.1 feet, officials said.
In Madison, city officials said Lakes Mendota and Monona were already exceeding their summer target maximum levels as of Thursday afternoon, too.
Officials in Rock County and Madison advised residents in flood-prone areas to be prepared to protect their property from water damage and said several locations in each municipality are available to pick up sand and bags.
In Madison, sand bagging stations are open at:
- Engineering Service Building - 1600 Emil St.
- Esther Beach Parking Lot - 2802 Waunona Way
- Olin Park Parking Lot - 1155 Olin-Turville Ct.
- Olbrich Park Boat Launch Parking Lot - 3527 Atwood Ave.
- Spring Harbor School Parking Lot - 1918 Norman Way
- Tenney Park Beach Parking Lot - 1254 Sherman Ave.
- Warner Park Beach Parking Lot - 1101 Woodward Drive
A map showing the locations is available on the Madison city website.
In Rock County, sand and sandbags are available separately. Sand is available at stations:
- In Afton at the Rock Town Hall. Call 608-752-4292 for bags
- In Beloit at the Beloit Township Fire Department. Call 608-364-2997 for bags
- In Edgerton at the Rock County Highway Department sheds at Highway 59 and North Sherman Road
- For Fulton residents at Rock County Highway Department sheds on Highway 59 and North Sherman Road or the lot near Culver’s in Newville off Highway 59. Call 608-868-4103 for bags
- In Harmony Township at the multi-use lot just east of Townline and East Rotamer roads. Call 608-868-6065 for bags
- In Janesville at the boat landing on North River Road, just off Highway 14 near the Four-Mile Bridge. Call 608-754-1468 for bags
- For Milton residents Rock County Highway Department sheds on Highway 59 and North Sherman Road or the lot near Culver’s in Newville off Highway 59. Call 608-868-2465 for bags
- In Newville at the parking lot near the entrance to Culver's on Highway 59
- Residents in municipalities not listed should contact their town chairperson for pick up arrangements
Residents in Rock County and Madison are asked to bring their own shovel to assist with loading sand into the bags.
The Rock County Sheriff’s Office has closed several public areas including Happy Hollow Park, part of South River Road, Mallwood Estates, Summerville Road and is monitoring several other areas for high waters.
Officials also reminded residents that exposure to floodwater can create health concerns and folks in flood-prone areas or in contact with floodwater should be current on the tetanus vaccine.
Copyright 2013 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.