Madison
39° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Fire displaces two families, injures firefighter

Published On: Apr 09 2013 06:25:35 PM CDT
Updated On: Apr 08 2013 11:50:03 AM CDT
6212 Raymond Road

6212 Raymond Road

MADISON, Wis. -

A fire at a duplex in Madison caused by unattended grease on a stove displaced two families Sunday, according to the Madison Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to 6212 Raymond Road shortly after 8 p.m. when the occupant of a duplex noticed smoke coming from electrical outlets. The man and his sister went outside and saw fire in the other side of the duplex through sliding glass doors. No one was at home at the time of the fire.

Firefighters reported seeing smoke coming through the second floor of the duplex when they arrived. The fire was extinguished within five minutes, according to fire officials.

The fire did extensive damage to the first floor and smoke damage extended throughout the home, including the other side of the duplex.

One firefighter was injured and treated at the scene.

Damage is estimated at $80,000.

Two adults and six children were displaced. The Red Cross is working with the families.

Advertisement
Advertisement