Madison
50° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Fire caused by discarded fireplace ashes

Published On: Dec 11 2012 07:05:20 AM CST
Updated On: Dec 11 2012 07:22:17 AM CST
MADISON, Wis. -

Madison fire investigators say they believe a fire that caused $150,000 in damage to a west side home Sunday was caused by fireplace ashes.

The ashes had been discarded into a garbage container in the home’s attached garage, according to Madison fire officials.

The family is displaced from its home at 121 High Point Road. The fire destroyed two cars and caused heat and smoke damage throughout the house.

Fire officials said they were able to knock down the fire before it spread through the rest of the house.

Two people were home when the fire started at around 7:40 p.m. Authorities said they escaped safely.

Advertisement
Advertisement