Madison
14° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Family sues school district after student burned by soup

Published On: Oct 02 2012 07:36:19 PM CDT
Updated On: Oct 02 2012 09:12:34 PM CDT
BELOIT, Wis. -

The Beloit-Turner School District is facing a lawsuit after a student was allegedly burned by soup served in a school cafeteria.

The family of the 8-year-old said her soup was served at an unsafe temperature.

According to the lawsuit filed in September, the incident happened Nov. 29, 2011, at Powers Elementary School.

The lawsuit alleges the hot soup was served by a cafeteria staffer and spilled on the student's arm after she was bumped by another student while carrying her lunch tray to a table.

Lawyers for the girl's family said the school didn't instruct students on how to carry the unsafe substance, and school employees were negligent in serving the soup at an unsafe temperature.

It's not clear how badly the girl in this case was burned but the suit claims the girl suffered and will suffer personal and bodily injuries, pain, humiliation, embarrassment, worry, permanent disability, health care expenses and other economic losses as a result of the school's negligence.

District Superintendent Dennis McCarthy said because the case is still pending, school district leaders are unable to comment on it.

WISC-TV tried to contact Derrick Grubb, the lawyer representing the family, but he was unavailable Tuesday.

The lawsuit is also asking for a trial by jury.

No date has been set for when the parties will be in court. 

Advertisement
Advertisement