Madison
43° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Bank employees inhale fumes opening vault Tuesday

Published On: Dec 04 2012 03:32:01 PM CST
Updated On: Dec 04 2012 01:19:10 PM CST

DARLINGTON, Wis. -

Three bank employees and one patron were treated for respiratory ailments Tuesday after they breathed in fumes from a punctured aerosol-spray product while opening the vault.

Darlington police and fire departments responded to the Citizens Bank on Wells Street for a report of a chemical spill.

Police said the preliminary investigation revealed an aerosol can containing a static neutralizer for electronics had been punctured and released its contents in the bank vault overnight. The vapors were released when the employees opened the vault at about 10:10 a.m. because the vault doesn’t have an air exchange system, police said.

City of Darlington Police Chief Jason King said the citizen and bank employees were transported by Rural Medical Ambulance Service to Memorial Hospital of Lafayette County for treatment.

Fire department personnel remained on scene until about 11:30 a.m. ventilating the building, according to the report.

Authorities said the Southwest WI Regional Tech Rescue and Hazmat Team, Lafayette County Emergency Management, Lafayette County Sheriff's Department and Darlington Public Works Department assisted at the scene.

The report did not indicate if the four affected had been released from treatment.

Advertisement
  • jack-o-lantern Halloween pumpkin

    Juliet James/SXC

    Halloween

    Games, recipes, trick-or-treating, scary movies and everything else you need to make your Halloween extra spooky.

  • Politician, politics, debate, election

    iStock / bns124

    Election Coverage

    Get up-to-date on political stories, Reality Check the latest political ads, learn about the candidates and find election results in our special section.

  • Ebola virus pink

    CDC

    Ebola special coverage

    Get the latest news on the Ebola outbreak and resources to help you learn more about the deadly virus.

Advertisement